Saturday 1 October 2016

9JA @ 56

THE PLEDGE

***FOR NIGERIA, ON HER PLUS ONE***


Nigeria, what gift of words can a distant child offer? How can I pay you the honour due, you who are both father and mother?
The leaf of your flame tree still rests quietly in my heart. Whenever I make a promise, it quivers. Whenever I take a breath, it stirs. This is green.

The flesh of the cocoyam entices from beneath its charred black skin, its fragrance drifts and beckons, sifts through evening, sings my longing.
Water pours from the rock in Yankari, warm as falling tears, flows green into the Gaji. Nigeria, these are your colours. Nigeria, this is the flag

I have carried in my heart these many years. I am torn between the blue passports of my family and the green which carries me through memories.
Remember once, mid-weed of one July when I stood, lips licked in nervousness and glistening, hands pressed to my heart, preparing to recite a pledge?

I formed the words, and said them in a whisper: I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America, then I could not recall the words that should have followed after?
Remember how my heart rushed to the rescue, flipped quickly through the pages of the calendar until it reached the homeland of October?

And remember how those near me stammered when they heard me, turned with puzzled stares or outright glares, at the words that finally tumbled free:

TO BE FAITHFUL, LOYAL AND HONEST, TO SERVE NIGERIA WITH ALL MY STRENGTH, TO DEFEND HER UNITY AND UPHOLD HER HONOUR AND GLORY SO HELP ME GOD.


BY:
Laura M. Kaminski (Halima Ayuba)
For 01-October-2016
___________________________________________________________________________


Laura M. Kaminski (Halima Ayuba) is Chapbook Editor/Poetry Editor at Praxis Magazine Online, and Editor at Right Hand Pointing. She grew up in Northern Nigeria, went to school in New Orleans, and currently lives in rural Missouri. She is the author of four poetry chapbooks (most recently 19 Ghazal Street) and three full-length collections (most recently Dance Here, Origami Books – Parresia, Lagos, 2015). Her final full-length collection (Anchorhold) is edited by Wale Owoade (book design Bard Studio); it is scheduled for release late this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment