Saturday 1 October 2016

9JA @ 56

GIANT OF AFRICA


Ancient Mother of Africa
Daughter of Planet Earth
Fruitful Daughter of Africa with 36 children birthed from her loins
Her wisdom beyond comprehension
Yet the strive between her children above imagination
She fought like a Lion; struggling solely for the independence of her Beloved Children
Her Creator hears her cry and dries her tears in her year of Jubilee 1960

She raises Generals from among her fruits
To lead her seeds aright
From her first President, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe
And her first Prime Minister, Sir. A. Tafawa Balewa
Even unto her first Military Head of State, Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi

The unity of her children she so desired
She thus raised another Anchor Gen. Yakubu Gowon
Yet her hunger for unity not satisfied
She bred Gen. Murtala Muhammed
And enthroned Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo

"Peace!! O peace for my Seeds!"
"Who will give my Children unity?"
"Will you, Alh. Shehu Shagari?"
"Or Will You, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari?"
She clung her trust to Gen. Ibrahim Babangida
Praying yet for hope in Chief Ernest Shonekon;
Her appointed Interim President

Her hope grows weary yet her faith keeps breeding
“Oh! Gen. Sanni Abacha can I trust you?” she asked.
Wearied and drained she prays for Gen. Abdulsalaam Abubakar,
“Gen. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo can you help your blood?” She echoes!

"Ye all are one! When I strove for freedom I fought for you all!"
"Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'adua unite my lost ones!"
"Dr. Goodluck Ebere Jonathan, don't fail me"
She wails!!

She weeps! She mourns as she sees all her struggles,
Her escape from death almost in vain,
Yet another is on the lead
“Gen. Muhammad Buhari Will you but yet again fail me?”

I hear her cry
Piercing deep into my ears
Awake!!
Arise All!!
Let's uphold our own for we are one
Only in prayers do I have my hope.
I won't give up on mine.
I won't give up on Nigeria

#ThePrayingKnee
#IWon'tGiveUpOnMotherAfrica
#WontGiveUpOnYouGiantOfAfrica
#PrayForNigeria

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE!!


BY:
Faith Cyril
(Member, Creative Crew Africa)
_________________________________________________________


Okeke Faith Chinazam (also known with her pen name – Faith Cyril) is an undergraduate student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. She is a poet, an author and all literary genres writer. She is a pillar of Creative Crew Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment